Frequently Asked Questions
How do I contact you for an estimate?
It’s best to start at our Get Free Estimate Page. You can also leave a message at 703-755-0479 and someone will return your call the same or next business day. Please note, this number goes directly to voice mail, as the number of solicitors and automated callers we receive in a day is quite astonishing for a small company.
What type of work do you do?
Bath Plus Kitchen Design Remodel is a professional remodeling company that focuses on full service bath and kitchen remodeling. If you’re planning to gut your bath or kitchen and replace all or most of the materials, we are the company for you. With an A rated team of designers, lead carpenters, plumbers, electricians, and HVAC technicians, our team is capable of almost any type of bath or kitchen project.
Like many of our clients you’ll feel at ease with our comprehensive step by step process that keeps you informed every step of the way. When hiring Bath Plus Kitchen Design Remodel, you can sit back and relax, as you know you’ve hired the best.
What type of work don’t you do?
While we would love to serve everyone, we can only remain effective by serving within our niche. Here are some examples of projects that are NOT well suited for us:
- A kitchen remodel that doesn’t replace the cabinets. This includes keeping your existing cabinets to paint or reface them.
- A remodel that only replaces the counter tops or backsplash.
- A bathroom remodel that only repairs a leaky shower.
- A remodel that only replaces a faucet or light.
- A remodel where you are looking to do some of the work yourself or act as the general contractor for the project.
Can I purchase my own materials?
In our case we primarily work with clients where we are buying all or most of the materials (excluding appliances). We have access to a wide variety of materials suitable for most budgets and styles. We do not try to force you into a limited selection of materials (although we do make you aware of the pros and cons of your selections).
If you’ve purchased materials already or are planning to purchase materials on your own, we are likely not the best fit for you. Here are some reasons why you should rely on us to purchase the materials:
- Expertise. Homeowners come to us for our industry knowledge and expertise. Our experience has taught us which materials will work best for a project and budget.
- Delivery of materials. Before starting your project, a plan is assembled that includes delivery coordination. Some of your materials may be in stock, while others could take weeks or even months to get in. Our method of purchasing materials from a number of different sources allows us to create an efficient and reliable schedule for your project. When materials are provided by the homeowner, it’s much harder for us to establish a schedule.
- Contractor pricing. We are a large buyer of remodeling materials, which allows us to buy at contractor rates. You can rest assured you’re getting the best possible price when we provide the materials.
- Warranty. We do not provide warranty coverage of any kind for customer provided materials.
How long does it take to get an estimate?
We prefer to design your project according to your budget. Ultimately the price of a project is determined by the homeowner, not the contractor. It’s important to understand this when evaluating contractors and deciding on the level of materials you’d like to use for your project. Once the design phase is completed, all materials are selected, and the plans are finalized we’ll be able to provide a firm fixed price quotation for your project.
To get an idea on remodeling prices and on a return on investment, we recommend you download the cost vs. value report found here, http://www.remodeling.hw.net/cost-vs-value/2015/south-atlantic/washington-dc/. It’s also important to note that as you move through the design phase and material selection phase your budget may change.
How does your estimating process work?
After discussing the details of your project over the phone we’ll schedule a time to meet at your house to review the project in greater detail. There isn’t a fee for this initial site visit however we do require that all homeowners involved in the project are present. This is important, as everyone has different ideas when it comes to remodeling. Once we’ve had a chance to review your we’ll outline a plan to move forward.
Will I get a breakdown of labor and materials in my contract?
Short answer, no. As a company policy we provide one price that incorporates all materials selected, labor for the project, and overhead to build your project in a reasonable time frame. Once all materials are selected and the floor plan is finalized, we can then provide an exact price for the project. During the design agreement phase, we’ll provide a price range based on your budget for the project and allowances.
When can you get started on my project?
Once you and our designers have determined the specifics of your project and a contract has been signed and validated, our team will consult our project calendar and schedule a starting date that works best for you.
I’m planning to close on a house soon, can you get my project done before I move in?
We receive a few requests each month from people who are planning to close on a house and would like to get the work done before moving in. We can work with you if you’re in this category. We’re able to move at your pace when it comes to design and material selections. And because we maintain a ‘get it done’ mindset, we can usually find room on our schedule to incorporate your project. That said, we do not like to rush projects or work with unreasonable time frames. During the initial consultation we’ll discuss timeframes based on your project. We also outline scheduling in the construction contract.
Whether you work with us or someone else, it’s important to have patience when it comes to remodeling. Putting undue stress on your contractor will only result in a rushed job. You may get moved in on time, but you’ll be calling your contractor to make a number of repairs after the fact. If you’d truly like to wait to move in until work is complete, we recommend extending your living arrangements at your current place of residence.
Do I have to move out of my house during the construction process?
In many cases this is not necessary. If you work from home or are home during the day, you may want to make other arrangements as the construction process is fairly noisy. Sometimes, it isn’t necessary, but you may find you prefer to be away due to the inevitable inconvenience. When planning your project with our team, you can discuss this and determine what the best approach is for you.
I have a cat, dog, or other pet, what should I do?
It’s best to incorporate pet arrangements into your plan early in the construction process. If you have friends or family that can house the pet or you have another place to keep your pet during construction, that would be ideal. If that’s not the case, it’s best to have a room in the house to keep your pet where he/she won’t be able to get out during the day. While we love animals, we do not take responsibility for your pets during the construction phase. We can discuss this with you further during the design phase.
How do you keep me informed during the remodeling process?
Your project will be assigned a project manager who will keep you up to date on the progress of your project and answer any of your questions. He or she will keep you updated throughout the project.
Do you provide references?
e have references available upon request. Also listed on our Testimonials page, is an aggregate of reviews from Angie’s List, Home Advisor and Yelp. For pictures of our work, check out our archive.
What kind of warranty do you provide?
We have pride and confidence in the work we do and so we provide a one year workmanship guarantee. Additionally, all materials provided and installed by us are covered under any original manufacturer warranties.
How long does a project take from start to finish?
This is a difficult question to answer because each project is unique. It will depend upon the size of the project, any unusual challenges it may present and, in some cases, the weather. Many factors are involved. We take on every project with enthusiasm and perform the work in a timely way. Please keep in mind that this is a custom remodeling project and the start date on your contract is a targeted start date given to you by your designer.
From time to time, circumstances arise that affect or change this date. We will keep you posted if this should happen. Also, your completion date is a targeted date. We will do our best to stay within the allotted time frame. It is impossible to predict with precision when a project will be completed. Again, this is the nature of remodeling. The final project is always beautiful and well worth the wait!
How do we prepare the house for remodeling?
- Remove all your valuables, lamps, plants, knick-knacks, etc.
- Remove all dishes and crystal from cabinets and hutches for a kitchen remodel.
- Remove all bottles and valuables from vanity counters and cabinets for a bathroom remodel.
- Cover all furniture in adjacent rooms. Since dust is inevitable, this will help to preserve your furniture.
- Please do not pile furniture on top of each other.
- If we are remodeling your kitchen, it will be helpful if you pick an area not affected by the construction to set up a dinette area for your family. This will cut down on any inconvenience to your family while we are working.
- Active construction areas and sites are most often hazardous and dangerous areas. During all periods of active construction at your site, you and your family agree not to enter any active work or designated job site area, without being physically accompanied and escorted by a Bath Plus Kitchen Design Remodel Supervisor or Team Leader. If you and/or your guests or family members otherwise must enter into any such active work area or designated job site area, such entry is at your or their own risk. Bath Plus Kitchen Design Remodel makes no guarantee as to the safety or functionality of any circumstance or item in a designated job or work site in progress.
Will there be a big mess once you’re completed?
The nature of renovation work is such that each project creates a mess of some kind. We ensure the project is neat and clean upon completion and maintain as much order as is reasonable during the period of the actual work.
When is the best time of year to do a renovation?
For most indoor projects, almost any time of year is a good time. Snow days can be a factor in the winter time. Speak to our consultants about your individual project and they will be able to advise you on the best time for your project.
If I take out a wall to make an area more open, will that affect the structure of my house?
This will depend upon the wall. Some walls are known as load-bearing walls. These are designed for structural support. They carry a house’s weight – hence the term load-bearing. Before taking out a wall, it must first be determined if it is this kind of wall. In some cases, it is possible to remove a load-bearing wall. However it is a more involved process than removing a non-load bearing wall. The weight the wall supports must be redistributed. There are ways to do this, such as replacing it with a beam, but this is a more involved process than simply removing a non-load bearing wall. It will depend upon your house, whether it is advisable or not.
Remember, the structural integrity of your house will be compromised if you remove a load-bearing wall without another way to support the weight it is bearing. During our design phase we review walls you’d like to remove to determine if they are load bearing. The work to do this is priced into the contract.
“We recently had Bath Plus Kitchen Remodeling complete a renovation of our master bathroom. Having worked with many contractors updating our town home, I can honestly say they were the best to work with! From the constant communication, to meeting the schedule and budget… We were very pleased. The bathroom...
View our completed projects below to see how our design experience and expertise can transform your own home. We look forward to making your dream home a reality!